Celebrate The Milky Way - SOLD OUT
- Frosty Drew Observatory and Science Center
- Sat, Jul 30, 2022 9:00 pm - Sun, Jul 31, 2022 12:00 am
- This event has SOLD OUT
Frosty Drew Observatory resides in one of the darkest locations in southern New England, and one of the most accessible spots to see the Milky Way Galaxy in the New England area. Catching sight of the Milky Way stretching across the sky is a view that we regularly enjoy at Frosty Drew Observatory, and one of our most frequent questions is "when can I see the Milky Way at Frosty Drew Observatory?". TO promote this amazing view, we are adding a couple Saturday night stargazing events themed on viewing the Milky Way. These are the nights that we think will offer best viewing of the Milky Way during the summer months.
Starting at 9:30 p.m. (weather permitting) hang out with our astronomers and telescopes as we showcase many of the fascinating celestial objects that are found along the Milky Way galactic plane, including young star clusters, star forming nebulae, colorful binary star systems, and thousands of stars. The Milky Way will become visible after 10:00 p.m. tonight, with best views kicking in when twilight wanes. These are the nights to lay out under thousands of stars with no Moon to obscure your view.
A ticket is required for admission at tonight's event!
Important information about tickets:
- A ticket is required for each person in your party / group that is over 4 years of age.
- Tickets will not be available on site, and must be purchased beforehand online.
- Ticket availability will be posted in days leading up to the event. Depending on weather variability, tickets sales may not open until the day of the event.
- Tickets will be checked at the Observatory main gate, either electronically or physically.
- The name on the ticket must match the name of the ticket holder.
- Tickets are non-refundable.
- This event is weather dependent and cancellations will be posted on the day of the event.
- We cannot guarantee the weather and seeing the Milky Way is very dependent on clear conditions.
- All ticket holders can stay on the campus for the entire duration of the event.
THIS EVENT HAS SOLD OUT
If you do not have a ticket, you cannot attend tonight's event. Please do not just show up and argue with our astronomers. That is just not cool! There will be several other events this summer.
If seeing the Milky Way is on your bucket list, or if you just want a relaxing night to lay out under the stars, then this is your chance.
Preparing for a Visit:
Check out our page on Visiting Frosty Drew Observatory to learn more about what to expect at the Observatory and better help you prepare for your visit.
Please note that we do not allow any white lights on our campus or in Ninigret Park from dusk - dawn, with the exception of low bean headlights while in motion. This is to ensure an equally awesome view of the night sky for all and to allow for the use of light sensitive astronomical equipment. Learn more about why we have this requirement in The Red Light District.
To allow for visitors to freely explore all of the amazing experiences at Frosty Drew Observatory without having to wait in long lines, we have integrated a pass-based group access process that applies to only the large telescope inside the observatory dome. Take a moment to familiarize yourself with this process as part of your planning steps.
Now gear up for a fabulous night out at the darkest spot in Rhode Island and celebrate fabulous views of the Milky Way.
Photo: The Milky Way rises over the Ninigret NWR by Frosty Drew Astronomy Team member, James Crouch.